Thursday, August 2, 2012

Ugh, so here goes: I just thought I'd mention it, since everyone else seems to. So, here's the thing: I guess the guy didn't just come out and say what everyone thought he did. They asked him his opinion, and he gave it. So that part of it I have no problem with. He's entitled to his opinion, just like every one else, and all of this uproar has caused even more people who agree with him and/or his right to free speech to put their money in his cash registers, so it kind of backfired anyway.


Now, here's my problem with the whole thing: Why are people using this as an excuse to be hateful? I'm pretty sure God doesn't hate gay people, and I'm pretty sure God also doesn't hate fast-food loving fat people. I'm pretty sure he loves all of us.


So shut up.


I read a comment yesterday about how awful and bigoted fat people are, and it really upset me. I don't believe homosexuality is a sin and I am fully in support of marriage equality (I think marriage should be a spiritual issue, not a political issue, and if you don't like it, then don't do it). I am no more bigoted than anyone else...because, come on, doesn't that illustrate the point that we're all a little bigoted? My big obvious sin, the one of over-eating (which I do believe is wrong, as it's unhealthy and yada yada yada), is one that I have to struggle with every day. I'm pretty sure Mr. Perfectpants doesn't realize that I have to eat so few calories in order to maintain any weight loss that I'm hungry all of the time, achy all of the time, and super flipping cranky all of the time?


Yeah, so watch out.


You may think you're just standing up in favor of the gay community, but putting down a whole group of people and making sweeping generalizations makes you just as bigoted and hateful as some of the people you say that you detest. I voice my opinion to my very close friends and family, but I am also of the opinion that voicing said opinion is a little meaningless and has little to no effect. So, here's what I do:


I love everybody. Whether I agree with them or not, I love them. I try to be kind and I try to be helpful to them, and I try to support people when they may need to know that someone has their back. Whether I agree with them or not is irrelevant. If I believe what I say I believe, I am not the person who gets to judge whether or not something is a sin. Now, if someone is doing something harmful, I'll say something. If I have a friend who is using meth, for instance, I'm probably going to share my opinion on that. If I have a friend who's dating someone I think is a douchebag or a cheater, I'm going to say something.


Otherwise, I'm going to worry about my own problems and vote for the politicians with whom I have the most political thingies in common and be nice to puppies and help old ladies cross the street and make sure that my gay friends know that I love them and I don't think of them as sinners. I just think of them as having different taste in partners than me, and really, who doesn't? If I couldn't have married my husband, it would've been awful, and just think what would happen if someday they said two fat people couldn't get married. We would be in deep doodoo.


Maybe just eat where you want to eat, support the causes you believe in with your vote and your wallet rather than your words, and live and let live. Remember, there's lots of things that you do that are called sins in the Bible. Maybe it's God's call to decide what to do about that. Maybe you just do the best you can so you can show other people that loving God doesn't necessarily make a person into a loud-mouthed a-hole.


Not that I'm not a loud-mouthed a-hole. I totally am.

No comments:

Post a Comment