Friday, August 3, 2012

Some weeks, I feel as though my voice studio is in an Agatha Christie book. More accurately, I feel as though it's in the book, "And Then There Were None," except it's really the movie version of the book, because there's music involved.


And people keep disappearing.


I've lost so many students this summer, it's almost unbelievable. I lost another one this week that I thought was a permanent fixture in my studio. Let's just say that I now have fewer students than I did when I was serving my teaching apprenticeship, back in 1999. 


Dismal.


Why are singing lessons not looked upon as being as intellectual as lessons in other forms of music-making? We do all sorts of learning about composers and style and harmony and rhythm, theory stuff, practical stuff, life application stuff (for those who are interested). Come on, people. Singing is gud fer yer brayn.


I hope that, as the Fall approaches, I get some new people in my studio. Otherwise, I would have to think about (gasp) shutting this thing down. That would make me very very sad, and you wouldn't like me when I'm very very sad.


Mostly, I cry a lot and ask if you think I'm pretty; it's sort of like me when I'm drunk and/or me when I'm tired. This happens at our house a lot. My husband needs an emergency exit.


So, if you're reading this, go get your kids in some lessons. Real lessons in some kind of art with a real teacher. It's important for their little brains and it'll give someone like me some work to do. It's also way better for them than another DVD or a computer game would be. They'll get someone who listens to them for a whole half-hour (ish) every single week and they'll feel valuable. (Remember this as they kick and scream about practicing. Hahaha.)


I knew I should've majored in underwater basket-weaving. Crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment