Tuesday, May 15, 2012

When we were watching Scrubs last night, my husband remarked that I'm a lot like Ted. Go ahead, think about it. Ted is the guy who they call in for legal stuff. Yep, the sad bald guy. Out of all the people on that show, that's who's the most like me.


It got me wondering: Does everybody have people in TV shows/movies that remind them of the other person? Because in most of our regular shows, the ones we watch from beginning to end on Netflix because we can't stand most of the crap they're coming out with now and because nothing good ever comes on when we actually have time to watch TV, there is usually a character that reminds us of each other. This also happens with movies, when we've seen them a bunch of times.


Or maybe we're just weird. I'd vote for that.


So I thought I'd compile a list, for those of you who are curious, of the characters I am like. Or, at least, the ones with whom I share some dominant personality trait.


First, we have Roseanne. I realize that a lot of people who don't know me to the point where I'm comfortable around them would say that I'm like Becky, but I'm really not at all. We've decided that if Darlene and Jackie had a baby, that would be me. I'm about 50/50, although at the time the show came out, I was all Darlene. As I've gotten older, my neuroses have popped out for the world to enjoy.


Another show we like a lot is The Office. Yes, I'm Pam, but I was Pam before I ever started doing receptionist-type work. It's the whole not-saying-what-I-really-think part, because otherwise I'm not so much like her. At least my husband didn't tell me I'm like Phyllis. That's pretty much a one-way ticket to sleeping in the guest room for the next month.


Of course, as you all know, I'm Liz Lemon from 30 Rock. Of all the characters on all the TV shows we've watched, she's probably the one I'm the most similar to, except that in real life when you eat as much as she does, you get fat. So, unlike Lemon, I'm always on a diet, and I guess I'm okay with that but I do get mighty excited when someone mentions chips and/or cake. Or pretty much any kind of food, really.


Finally, as far as movies go, we love Harry Potter. Okay, I guess it's more accurate to say that I really love Harry Potter and my husband doesn't hate it. So I've seen every movie around 50 times and I know all the dialogue (books, too...don't judge). I'm also going to leave my husband for Snape if he ever comes to town to ask me to run away with him [it's okay, my husband has my permission to leave with Kate Winslet circa 1997 (you know, before she got skinny), so we're even]. You might guess McGonagall or maybe Hooch, you know, the one who has a short spiky haircut.


Nope, I'm Hagrid. 


That character, perhaps, is the most like me, except I keep my beard trimmed to a more manageable level and I have better grammar. Otherwise, yeah, really quite Hagridy up in here, what with my love of animals and my hugemongousness.


I certainly hope other people do this. It really makes one aware of certain parts of one's character make-up. If I was a psychologist, I would use this in some way, but since I'm not, I have no idea how to go about that. Plus, it's really amusing. Especially because sometimes a person sees a character on a show doing something that the person does in real life, and she realizes it's not a great thing to do. For instance, I no longer write extensive blog pages about myself that have nothing to do with anything, just to see if I can come up with a bunch of stuff that people will actually read. Wait, that wasn't on a TV show. Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment