Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Nature is awful.

I could just leave that sentence there, just like that, but I'm pretty sure a roaming band of hippies would come and kill me. In fact, this is only a recent opinion, since up until Sunday, I thought nature was pretty cool.

No more.

I was working feverishly to get as much done as possible this weekend, and I decided to take a ten-minute break to go outside to get some fresh air and sun and all of that.

BIG mistake.

I'm sitting in my chair, looking out at the trees and whatnot, when I hear a little rustling noise. The first thing I see is this little blue thing, whipping around. Yep. It's a lizard tail, and it continued to thrash around, completely unattached from its owner, which is gross enough that my stomach was a tad queasy.

Then, I saw the most horrible thing I've ever seen in my life.

A foot away from the wildly thrashing disembodied tail was the baby lizard off of which it had fallen. It was being swallowed alive by another, bigger lizard.

I wanted to try to save the little lizard, but its entire back end was already inside of the bigger lizard (I know, because I could see it moving through the other lizard's skin), so I thought it might've already been damaged enough that it was going to die anyway. It was clawing at the air with its front legs, trying to save itself, and the big lizard was just calmly staring at me, trying to decide whether or not I was a threat, and chowing down on the baby lizard.

WHAT THE HELL?!?!?!

I did not know that lizards ate other lizards. Especially little baby ones. It was like watching a lizard horror movie, but in real-life, in my own backyard. I haven't been able to go back out there since, as I'm too afraid.

Afraid of seeing more nature.

As I said, nature is awful.

No comments:

Post a Comment