Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Now, as we all know, I have a bit of the OCD. Just a tad. A wee skosh. 


Okay, apparently I have a lying problem, as well. Anyhow, I guess I should say that I don't like to touch things that I consider dirty. Most people are probably that way, to some extent; it's just that my list of dirty things may be slightly longer than other people's lists.


Yes, anything touched by another person is dirty.


Anyway, there have always been certain things that I considered completely out of the question. Wearing anything used, for one thing. However, recently I had to wear a (used) costume, and that costume included (used) shoes.


After sanitizing them and them re-sanitizing them, and then letting them sit in a hot car for 12 hours to bake and then sanitizing them one more time, I wore those shoes, and I didn't catch any nasty foot diseases (at least, not as far as I know). I then went on with my life, continuing to purchase and wear only new footwear, and not thinking about it at all.


Until yesterday.


My sister and I went thrifting and our first stop was an upscale thrift store (which benefits homeless animals, so I didn't feel as grumpy about the higher prices). My sister found a really nice new purse, and as I looked around for a treasure, I saw them: beautiful used shoes.


Now, I have NEVER looked at used shoes, but these ones just called to me. I picked them up, and they had absolutely no wear on the inside, and no tread missing from the bottom. I'm guessing they weren't worn more than once. Here's the kicker: I wear a size 11 shoe. 11. Most of the shoes that fit me were either designed for drag queens, which means the heels are way too high for me to maneuver in, or they look orthopedic, or they cost more than my entire shoe wardrobe put together. I rarely find fashionable, affordable shoes in my size in neat colors and whatnot, and when I do, it's usually a closeout or clearance deal and I get pretty worked up about it.


So there's the dilemma: Really pretty shoes, in my size, great color and style, decent price, and they look new...but I know they're not. I debated and debated, almost putting them back for good. Then I did it. I got out my $12 and put the shoes on the counter and bought them.


So now I have a beautiful pair of used shoes (yes, I did the whole sanitizing procedure a few times) sitting in my closet. I just hope I can actually wear them.











No comments:

Post a Comment