Thursday, July 26, 2012

It seems to me that the people who post the most stuff on their Facebook pages about activism are the ones who are the least likely to actually do anything really effective about the issues they supposedly care so much about. I do have some friends that I know for sure actually do shop only at local grocers and health food stores and don't ever go the the evil Wal-Mart, or people that are actually politically active in a real, non digital way; however, these people are few and far between. Mostly, people just seem to post stories and then that's about it.


I say, if you believe a certain way, then it's a lot more valuable to drag your butt to the polls and vote, shop locally, or take the dang bus than it is to simply beleaguer your fb friends with your multiple high-and-mighty opinions. Vote in all of the elections, including (and especially) the small ones: County council, mayor and the like. That's probably going to work out a lot better for you than putting up posters about how good/horrible the president is, or how no one should ever feed their children anything with sugar in it (that one seems realistic). I also enjoy the inevitable animal cruelty ones, who are posted by people that I know have way more animals than they can afford to care for properly. Maybe think about that.


Also, when I see you driving to the grocery store five times in a day, it makes me think that maybe you ought to re-think your stance on global warming. You know, combine trips or something if you care so much. Oh, and also...you may want to try not running your a/c all day long. Enjoy the sweaty goodness that will come with that glow of self-satisfaction as you bask in the heat and humidity.


Me? Why, I don't really have any deep feelings at all, so I'm good. 


Really, though. Can't we all just try to be sensible? I don't waste gas because it's a waste, but I'm not walking a mile and a half in the heat to go buy milk. I try to support local businesses because I hope others will support me, but there's no way I'm going to buy a $5,000 couch when the big stores sell one I like for $500. I don't abuse children, animals or my elders, so I think I'm good there, and I drink organic milk. The produce is too expensive and, really, I don't eat enough vegetables anyway so I don't see it making a big difference to my health. Oh yeah, I vote. Every election, every time. Voting is kind of a big deal.


There, now. I've survived all of these years and I'm just fine. If you believe in a cause, that's great. Just believe in it in real-life and not just on the Facebook, por favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment