Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Although I realize that only four people actually read this, and the other 400 hits I've gotten are all from my husband, trying to make me feel slightly less lame about writing this, I want to use this as a platform to educate the masses about the importance of something:


Deodorant.


Yes, friends. You need to wear it. Or else bathe more often; I don't know. I was at rehearsal last night, and it occurred to me that no one there smelled bad. Maybe it's because professional musicians take more pride in the way they smell; it's hard to say, but there were several people that had just gotten off a flight a few hours before that looked a little rumpled and such, but did not assault my nostrils.


Which brings me back to yoga.


I live in a little tiny town that is famous in this state for being full of a-holes. I have to say, I think that reputation is largely undeserved. I think most towns are full of poopy people, and you have to search for the nice people. It's like a real-life treasure hunt, where the prize at the end is that you don't feel like kicking someone in the face...but I digress (big surprise there). This town may not have a higher jerk-to-normal-person ratio, but it is full of scientists and engineers and other people who have no social skills whatsoever. That means a lot of sandals-with-socks action, and a lot of guys who will go to a restaurant and talk loudly about physics, while laughing at jokes that no normal person would ever find funny. You know, massive dorkiness. Which you get used to.


Last week at yoga, we were next to one of these guys. Not only did he and another lady complain when we had to partner up, because it was "interrupting the flow," this guy had some serious b.o. going on. Not the kind where you know they have some sort of condition and can't help it, he just hadn't bothered to bathe or wear deodorant or anything. Not just armpitty, but dirty. There is a difference...I know people who choose not to wear deodorant, but that keep themselves clean. This guy smelled and looked like he hadn't washed his clothes in a month. Ick.


So of course I ended up right next to Mr. Complainystinkypants (that's his real name, I swear), of course. Me with my sensitive smell/gag issue, and I'm trying to do my deep breathing, but it's obvious that's not going to happen.


Therefore, I pretty much made fun of him in my head the whole time, which I realize isn't nice, but if you've been reading my blog at all, you already know that I am not a nice person. Hilarious? Yes. Nice? Not so much.


The point? Wait...was there supposed to be a point to this? I guess nobody told me. Oh, yeah, now I remember. The point is that you should keep yourself clean, if only for my sake. Also, you should probably go to a yoga class at some point, because it really is the high point of my week. I mean, where else can you laugh at yourself and other people in a setting where no one can see because they're all trying to  lift their legs over their heads and such? Fantastic.


Sometimes my life is just so much fun, I can't stand it.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Melissa! Illl back you up on the clean thing100%, but I suppose you already knew that. Sorry about Mr. Stinky!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha....he was so stinky. I was just proud I didn't throw up. Really. I had to do extra mat disinfecting when I got home :)

    ReplyDelete