Monday, February 13, 2012

On Saturday, my husband and I went to Santa Fe to have lunch and see a movie. We would've just stayed in town, but we got a gift certificate for a fancy restaurant for Christmas, and we like to go there on Saturdays and have a hamburger for lunch, so as to squeeze the maximum number of free meals out of the certificate. We've already gone twice and I'm pretty sure the servers think, "Ugh!" when they see us, because we are definitely a $5 tip table, as opposed to people that drink wine and eat seafood for lunch. Hey, come on, if the tab's $25, I'm not leaving a $10 tip unless the service is immaculate, and that's not going to happen, because they can tell we won't be ordering booze or dessert. 


That's beside the (non-existent) point. We had our lunch, complete with a staring session with the guy at the table next to us. He was a tourist, of course, and he was staring with his mouth open and even moved his chair so he could stare without turning his head, which was making me laugh, because I realized about halfway through that I could turn my head slightly in his direction, and he'd drop his head really fast, like I'd busted him. So I kept doing it, to see if he'd realize that I was just messing with him. He didn't. It was great.


After lunch, we went to the movies. In Santa Fe, they have a big theatre that shows the popular movies, and they have an old, run-down one in a mall where no one shops that shows the more artsy-fartsy films. We like the old one, because when we first started dating, we used to go there and watch those kinds of films to show off for each other. Now, we're way past the showing off, but we still like the ambiance. Nothing says fun more than a dying mall.


We weren't thrilled with any of the offerings, but since it's been a month or more since we went to the movies, we decided to just pick one and go. We liked the look of Albert Nobbs, but when I read the reviews I thought, "Do we really want to spend our afternoon watching Glenn Close look constipated?" I guessed that we'd probably better save that for a rental, and we went to The Artist instead. There was a bit of hesitation, due to the whole "lack of dialogue" issue, but the ratings were so good we thought we'd chance it. Plus, we sneaked in a Cadbury Dairy Milk candy bar, and there's no way you're not having a good time if you're eating one of those. That should be on a controlled substances list. For seriously. They also have Coke Zero at that theatre, which is a good one because sometimes with Diet Coke, the lines get mixed up between the fruit punch and the soda, causing the Diet Coke to be slightly tinged with fruit punch taste, which is gross. Coke Zero has no issue with that. I realize that choice of diet beverage isn't part of most people's theatre selection process, but when fat people go to the movies they have to think about these things. It's a part of the whole experience.


Anyway, we were sitting behind a really fun group of people. It was two men who I'm pretty sure were a couple or wanted to be because of the amount of touching that was going on behind the seats, and an older lady. The two men were sitting on either side of the lady and making her laugh so much, I thought she might pee her pants. Maybe she did. I don't know. One of the men was talking about how he couldn't have dinner with them because he needed to buy supplies for his restaurant, and the other man and the lady were trying to convince him that he should skip it and eat with them. He said, "No, I can't. I need to go buy my steaks and if I wait until tomorrow, all the good ones will be gone." So the other guy says, "You want me to make you a tubesteak?" The old lady lost it, and so did we. I almost tapped the guy on the shoulder and asked him to be my friend. Okay, I didn't almost do that, as I'm way too shy, but I really, really wanted to.


Then we watched the movie, which was not as hilarious as the conversation in front of us, but it was exceptional. We both loved it. It's nice to see something where actors and directors don't need a lot of special effects to make a statement. It was very human and very touching, which I don't generally tend to go for, but in this instance it was perfect. Just well-made and lovely.


The following day, my husband made red-chile enchiladas. That's all I need to say about yesterday. In the history of the world, there have never been such enchiladas as these enchiladas. If I was a poet, I'd write a sonnet about them. Since I'm not, I'll write a haiku about them:


your cheesy goodness
chile so hot my nose runs
sunrise in a bowl


I know, I know. I'm just so talented. It's a burden, really.


So, all in all, it was a great weekend. A little light on the fart jokes, perhaps, but we watched Hot Fuzz last night and that sort of made up for it. Tomorrow, I'll have a special Valentine's Day blog for everybody. Maybe it'll contain the secret to true happiness, hmm? Or maybe it'll contain more rambling crap, like the rest of my posts. I guess you'll just have to read it to find out.







No comments:

Post a Comment