Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Still canning. Yesterday was pretty successful EXCEPT for one new recipe.

So, I have my old faithful things...things that I've done a billion times that always come out, like marmalade and plain fruit jams. The grape jelly from recently was a little softer than I'd like, but I think that could've just been from being slightly off with the measuring...no big deal, though. It's still pretty firm and definitely usable.

Yesterday, though, I made a very complicated recipe that turned out, well, weird.

It sounded so good. Apples with Red Hot Cinnamon Sauce. Sounds good, right? Like a candied apple, but in slices and in a jar.

Nope.

It is vinegary and very spicy. It is beautiful in the jar, but I don't like the taste at all. My husband likes it, which is weird, since he doesn't usually like that sort of thing, but otherwise, I just don't know. Fortunately, since it's in quart jars, it seems like there's less of it. Quart jars are just the most ridiculous thing ever for jam canners to have. Who needs a quart of jam? And then you make a whole batch and it only produces two jars. I hate that.

On the flip side, however, I made caramel apple jam and it is truly the best new recipe I've tried all year. ALL YEAR. For reals. I have tried more new recipes this year than I even want to think about, and this one, for sure, is just freaking outstanding. Maybe I'll make another batch today....

Nope. I am doing pies today. Just pies. 

Trying new things is very hard on my psyche, especially when I don't know if they'll be good or not and then they don't come out right. I hate screwing up.

I think I just need more coffee.


No comments:

Post a Comment