Monday, September 24, 2012

Because of my obsession with orderliness, I write down a lot of things that I have done or I need to do, and I have these lists in several places. For instance, in a notebook that I keep at my piano, I write down when I practice every day, how my top note was, and what pieces I practiced, in addition to any new exercises I worked on. I also make a note of my practice on my calendar, just to have a visual in case there are certain patterns occurring or anything like that. I also have a daily reminder in my iPad calendar. I really don't need those, since I do it every day anyway, and it's not the sort of thing I'm likely to forget, but I just do it because it makes me feel better to really know.

I'm also keeping a massive list of inventory for the arts and crafts fair, and I've devised a tagging system that will help me to know what sort of crafts sell and which ones don't do well. That way, next year, I can have more marketable inventory and less crap that no one wants. Oh, and did I mention I keep three different lists with that info? Yeah, complete overkill and unnecessary, but if my house burns down I want to be prepared.

The problem is that sometimes I don't make a list and then I agonize over whether or not I should make one for a particular activity. For instance, today is a crafty day and I'll try to bulk up my inventory. However, I forgot to make a daily agenda, and now I'm wasting time deciding whether I should spend the time making myself a schedule of things I have to make so I can be on time with my merchandise, or just go along as I have been, making what I feel like looks best with whatever yarn I happen to pull out of the bin, but worrying about whether I should've made a schedule, and if I am, in fact, on time with my non-existent schedule.

Yikes. What a conundrum. 

I definitely feel the flakiness in my brain today. Maybe I need more coffee. Stopping the obsessing isn't an option, so maybe I'll go with the list. Yeah, that'll fix it. A good list can fix anything. Hooray! 

Wow. Amazing how even the thought of making a list makes me feel much happier....that is not sad at all. Not at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment