Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Today is the first day of Lent.

I realize that a lot of you know that, but that's my topic, so I wanted to make sure everybody was on the same page.

Anyway, I don't know that I necessarily agree with giving something up for God, as I'm pretty sure that He doesn't really care all that much whether I eat chocolate or meat or whatever for the next month and a half. I kind of like the idea of having an excuse to try to do something so that I can be a better person, though, so maybe I'll use the time to do something positive.

Oh, yes. I'm just a regular Girl Scout, aren't I?

I just think maybe God would enjoy positive action more, rather me just being punitive with myself, which just seems like a throwback to the whole monks + self-flagellation thingy, which creeps me out.

So I need to decide what to do, and I think I'm going to try to let things go more, to not allow myself to worry endlessly if something isn't perfect, or if something at work goes undone by someone else. I am going to try to just get done what I need to get done, and not to try to finish everything for everybody else.

Yes, I am the kid in class who finished other people's homework for them out in the hall right before class so they wouldn't get into trouble. I still do that, but in different ways, and I need to probably stop it and let people make their own mistakes. It's too stressful to try to fix things for everyone else.

Alright. It's on. Going to do it. I swear. 

Maybe I should've just given up chocolate. Nope. That would just be pointless and sad for me. I do love the chocolate. I think I may have some M&Ms for breakfast, just because I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment