Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Mid-afternoon blog post today, in honor of the fact that I just remembered something and I don't want to forget it again before I write it down.

Here goes.

I was flossing my teeth, because I had a very delicious sandwich for lunch that had some very pungent garlic and onion action (and I don't want to knock anybody out with what I've got brewing up in my teeth) and I had a flash of memory.

It doesn't happen very often, but this one was hilarious, and I can't believe I forgot about it for this long.

I used to have a student, and I don't even remember her name any more, because she only had a few months of lessons (probably because she was a turd), and one day we were having a particularly trying time getting any work done.

You must realize, when you bring me your kid, who by the way was only five, and expect her to get thirty minutes of learning, what you're really getting is a few five-minute spans of concentration, with five-minute breaks in between. Seriously. They cannot mentally keep it together for long periods of time, so basically I'm teaching them how to concentrate, with a little bit of music thrown in there. That's just how it is. The longer they take, the more learning we get in, but especially around holidays or breaks, that's just all I can do.

At any rate, she was super mad, because I was making her repeat things, and we were getting to a point where I could tell she was about to either scream or cry, so I changed the subject. "What do you think you want to do when you grow up?" I asked her.

She thought for a second and then said, "Well, what do you do?"

I said, "I'm a musician."

She said, "Well, I've never heard of you, so you must not be very good."

Yep. That's how she rolled. I told her, "That's probably true, but I don't do it to be famous, I do it because I love it."

She thinks for a minute, and then replies, "I want to do something that I'm really good at, then, so I can be famous and make money. Not like you."

HOW DID I FORGET THIS CONVERSATION???

It's so good. I can totally remember the whole thing, because I was still in my 20s, you know, with dreams and all, and it kind of hurt my feelings.

Now, however, I'm over that. That kid was hilarious. Bravo, little girl, for calling it like it was. And bravo, me, for finally remembering it and sharing it with the world.

Yet again, you're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment