Friday, October 3, 2014

There seems to be a proliferation of advice-giving lately. Especially from twenty-year-old people who are just experiencing things for the first time and feel they have some valuable information to impart to the rest of us. To those delightful youngsters, I would like to repay your kind words with this nugget of wisdom: DON'T.

I realize that it seems like you've gone through stuff and lived through worse than most, but you haven't. Plus, we've all been doing this long enough that we've thought the thoughts you're thinking many times over. Trust me, your brilliant plan is probably not going to work. Also, consider that we lived through a time when most of us didn't have cable, there was no Netflix, and smartphones didn't exist. Most people didn't even have cell phones, and cordless phones were considered luxurious.

So, seriously. DON'T.

For most of my pre-college education, all research was done in the library. The actual building. No internet research. Can you imagine how many hours that took?

When I was in school, we were actually required to learn how to do things like math and spelling. No joke. That's how we all ended up being less stupid than you. Really. I had a job when I was 12: A paper route. My parents didn't just hand out money for nothing. Most people's parents didn't. Shockingly enough, they were hoping we'd be self-sufficient.

Newlyweds, take note: I have been with my husband for 21 years, married for twelve. My parents have been married for 44 years. Lots of people have been married that long or even longer. We have actually figured out some stuff during all of that time. Please do not feel like you need to post Facebook statuses with advice for all of us every fifteen minutes. Seriously. It just makes us want to punch you in your smug little faces; however, we quickly realize we don't need to because life is going to take care of that for us.

I realize this may sound bitter.

I'm actually not. My life is pretty stinking awesome. It's just highly irritating to check my Facebook every morning and read the vast assortment of "wisdom of the ages" posts or people bragging about what an awesome marriage they have when they've only been in it for an hour or so, or what a great parent they are when they haven't even made it past diapers.

Talk to me after ten years and then maybe you get to say something. Marriage is hard. Parenting is hard. School is hard.

See a trend there? LIFE is hard. It just is. There's not a lot of coasting. But there's always someone out there who has it worse than you, so you should probably just be grateful and stop trying to tell everyone else how awesome you are and just how you did it.

Most of us don't care, anyway. We're just trying to hold it all together until we have a day off to sit around the house in our underwear, drinking beer and binge-watching Bridezillas.

Or maybe that's just me.

I think I may need a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment