Monday, October 20, 2014

I think some people are a little too free with their opinions. I'm all for a person speaking his or her mind, but when it's insulting to another person, it's probably a better idea for a person to keep it quiet.

For example, I get comments about my hair a lot. From a lot of people, but certain people are worse than others. Here's the deal, though: IT'S MY HAIR.

Yep. Growed it muhself.

At any rate, why would a person feel so free to make so many comments about something that, quite frankly, isn't any of his or her business?

I mean, it's one thing if I would've asked. But I didn't. Because I've decided that no matter how much everybody else likes something about me, if I don't like it, it's going to bug me. So I need to like it. I occasionally ask my husband, because his opinion matters, but that's about it.

When did it no longer become necessary to keep not-nice comments to ourselves? If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all, and all of that? Did someone decide that that's no longer necessary and just not let me know?

Also, do people not realize how neurotic and self-scrutinizing some of us are? Especially about hair and clothes. It's hard enough to feel presentable enough to walk out the door without hitting the weekly, "Are you ever going to grow out your hair again? It looked so much better that way."

(Seriously. I get that every week at least once, and from the same person. UGH.)

And I try to laugh about it. I try to respond with a joke, but the problem is, it's just so rude that I don't feel like I should even respond. However, I've been conditioned not to be rude (thanks, Mom), so I feel like I have to just brush it aside.

But, every week? Every stinking week? I wish I could understand the motivation. Does that person really think I'm going to grow my hair out because that person prefers long hair? Really? Seriously? Because, quite honestly, I think it's my head and my hair and my time, and no one should try to make another person feel bad about the way she looks. It's mean. It's like middle school.

Also, did the people who feel so free to make disparaging comments to me (you wouldn't believe how many people feel like it's appropriate to critique my hair, lack of makeup, and clothing choices) ever stop and think that maybe I don't particularly enjoy their fashion choices? Because I don't. But I am an adult, so I find something nice to say and move on.

Reading this, you might say to yourself, "Grown people can't actually be saying things to another grown person about her hair and stuff on a daily basis." I wouldn't believe it myself, if it didn't keep happening.

Maybe it's just because people kind of suck. It's not like I have a mohawk (although that would be awesome) or anything really over-the-top in the way of clothing, or anything indecent or showing bits of skin that oughtn't to be seen in public. I just have certain kinds of clothes that I like, and I don't wear makeup every day because I think that men invented makeup so I would have to get up half an hour earlier every day, and I'm not buying into that. And I like interesting shoes. 

Oh, well. I guess that's just how it is. Some of us are the observers and some are the commentators. However, if you are a commentator, you ought to take into account the size of the person to whom you're giving your ever-so-valuable opinion.

One of these days, she might go all Incredible Hulk on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment