Friday, May 16, 2014

It has finally happened. I have heard the song, "Let It Go." I knew the day would come, I just thought I could hold off a little longer.

Alas, a six-year-old showed up at her lesson this week with the music in hand, and said, "Umm…so…my Mom found this online…it looks pretty good…can we sing it?"

Yep. There is no turning down a situation that is THAT cute.

So I told her I hadn't heard it before, but I wanted to look it over before we sang it, just to get familiar with the tune. And then I looked through the diabolical being that is the Disney song (which I had expected, because most of the popular Disney tunes from the last 20 years or so are exactly the same). This thing goes from the F below Middle C up to E (or thereabouts…I've already forgotten). And it hangs there. What? That's crazy talk. No six-year-old should ever sing a song that has a range like that. Just no.

And yet, she does. Every day. Even without me. So, even though it was completely inappropriate for her, we sang it, just sort of tunelessly skipping over the parts where the notes were way too low, and then she pretty much let it rip on the high stuff, where it's comfortable.

There were parts where she threw back her head and closed her eyes and got all into it, so I had to pretend like I didn't see her because she's super shy and would've been mortified. She would then remember where she was and glance over to see if I had seen her and then, assured that I was paying absolutely no attention to anything but the piano and the sheet music, she'd get right back into it again.

So, no, we probably won't spend a lot of time on it in class, and no, it's not a good learning piece for…well…anyone, to be honest. All things considered, though, I'm pretty glad I got the full-on little kid experience of it.

Some days, my job is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment