Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Last week, I decided I was going to be a good wife and cook more for my husband. I also got smacked in the face by a crapload of work, so maybe I need to work on my timing a little, but still. I wanted to try.

I made a magnificent broccoli cheese soup, which I was really proud of because the last soup I made just blindly following a recipe was this butternut squash and bacon soup, which sounds totally awesome but was not so great. The broccoli cheese soup, though, was totally worth all of the 5 billion calories per bowl.

Later in the week, I made this hamburger soup that my mom used to make when we were kids and that also turned out perfectly. Plus, I made brownies and lemon sour cream muffins. The pièce de résistance, though, was last night (which counts as last week because weekends are always at the end of the week, and if it's a day off from work, it's also a weekend), because I did something for the first time ever, and it came out magnificently!

I fried something in oil!

Okay, it's not the healthiest form of cooking, but I've never really done it, although I've assisted others in the frying process, and I wanted to try. I made vegetable lo mein and then fried cubes of tofu with a sweet chili sauce. Fried tofu. I received a high five from my husband, so I know it must've been as awesome for him as it was for me.

Or perhaps even more awesome, because he didn't have a gross oily mess to clean up, as I did.

But it was worth it, and I now know how to make a sauce that is just as good as, if not better than, McDonald's. That's saying something, because that clown knows his sauce.

So, yep. I pretty much win the best wife ever award. We'll probably go back to pancakes and egg sandwiches for dinner now, but at least I tried.

A+ for effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment