Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Footwear is a complicated choice. Although I would say that I'm definitely a shoe person, I'm not exactly a stiletto heel kind of person, or any other type of shoe where the odds will constantly be against me making it to my destination without falling fifty times. However, I've been noticing something weird this year at the opera, and it makes me wonder what's going on, and why I didn't get the memo.

Way less people are wearing hilarious heels.

It's sad, because for me, half the fun of the opera lies in watching women wearing ridiculously high heels totter down the stairs, looking like they're really, really drunk, and then making their way to either sit on a bench or lean on a wall, and then waiting until the very last minute before getting up and doing it all again to get to their seats in the theater. I know it's sad, but I wait for it every year. It's hilarious.

But it's just not happening this year.

Maybe one or two people a night. There have been a couple of people in really poorly-fitting formal gowns, as well, but it's not the same. Usually it's like ten people a night or more. Seriously. But this year, everyone's dressed way down, and even those who went so far as to wear dresses are wearing flats, mostly.

Come on, ladies. I look forward to this all year. We have one more opera, and I really want you to go for it. Stilettos. Anything higher than three inches. Come on.

Yes, my life is sad, but that's beside the point. It really is that fun to watch. 

The men are stepping it up this year. I'm seeing bow ties and brocade jackets, seen a few in low heels, which is delightful, as it's not seen as often and it looks awesome, and some really amazing hair and makeup (yep, I'm progressive that way....if women get to put themselves through all of that beauty stuff, I think men should too...equal opportunity fashion). At any rate, they're totally winning the mini style war going on in my head.

So, ladies, this is our last week. Let's do this. For my sake. I'll wear heels, myself, and then we can all laugh as I fall down the stairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment