Monday, July 6, 2015

Alright. It's time for more pearls of wisdom.

I want to share something with those of you that have not had the benefit of growing up with a mom who was all about manners. My mom was crazy with those things; subsequently, I learned a lot about life and not being rude (note that I didn't say I always follow the rules, I just know them).

Apparently, there is a large portion of the population that is unaware that when one is getting married or having a baby, one does not simply throw a shower for one's self and then inform the world that he or she is registered at such and such place.

There, I said it. Nope, you don't.

It is so so so so so so so so super mega rude.

Had to get that out. I know it's exciting to think of all of those delightful gifts and whatnot, but you can't just throw your own "gimme gifts because I'm getting hitched and/or procreating" party.

Shocking, no?

It's really, really, really really tacky.

It's also really rude to post a PayPal link on FB asking your FB friends to give you money since you're having a baby and then send out private messages to your entire friends list (some being people like me, that you only know casually), asking them to contribute because it's been a hard year.

Yeah, I thought all of your vacation pictures (seven sets, but who's counting?) over the last year looked really tough. Going to Europe this past spring looked pretty miserable, as did your road trip to Sedona.

And then you ask people who are pretty much strangers for money.

I think not.

So, now, are we all clear on this? No throwing parties for yourself when it's an occasion that calls for gifts. It's tacky and rude. Get your best friend to do it, then it'll be just fine. 

No need to thank me. Your shame is all the thanks I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment