Monday, February 23, 2015

No, I didn't watch the Oscars. My poor husband and I were in bed before 9, as he is now getting his butt handed to him by the same cold that is still making me cough, even after 2 weeks. I did, however, read some of what Patricia Arquette said about wage equality, and I feel like I need to get my 2 cents in.

Why women who have given birth? What on Earth does that have to do with our earning capabilities, unless we are being paid to give birth, in which case I'd hope that women would have the edge.

I am tired of other women making women like me who don't have children feel like we don't count as full women. Like we are somehow less because we haven't carried babies in our sad, empty uteruses. I don't feel less womanly because of the lack of diapers and Snack Packs in my house.

Okay, I still have Snack Packs. Sometimes cheap pudding fixes all manner of ills.

At any rate, I have had other women actually come out and say to my face that I must hate children because I don't have any (for the record, I adore them), I get pitying looks from young mothers whenever I'm at a location that typically caters to kids (don't judge me; sometimes I just want to see some cartoons at the movies), and I get questions that lead me to believe that some of my older women friends are dying to know whether it's my husband's or my nether regions that are dried-up (that one is really nobody's business unless I feel like talking about it).

The truth is, not everybody is destined to be a 25-year-old mother. Or even a 40-year-old one. And, believe it or not, some of us aren't even devastated about it.

Until another woman creates some lady club that I'm not allowed to belong to because of my childlessness.

So I shouldn't earn as much as a full-on, childbearing woman? Don't get me wrong; giving birth is a really, really hard thing to do, as is raising children, and I give mega credit to Moms. They are awesome. But what place did that comment have in a speech about equality? Men can't help the fact that they don't have a baby-incubating setup going on down there.

I would like to get paid as much as a man, too. I feel like maybe the fact that I am smart and kind and capable ought to count for something. Maybe her speech addressed that, but all I really heard from her speech was the giving birth part. After that, I felt left out and like one more person had to comment on my life.

So I guess I really don't want someone like Patricia Arquette to speak for me. And all of you women out there who don't have babies, either because you've chosen not to or because life made that choice for you, you can be in my club. And, yes, we will have Snack Packs.

No comments:

Post a Comment