Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Is it wrong to expect a pair of shoes to last forever?

I don't think so.

At any rate, they do not and I am mourning the loss of one of my favorite pairs this morning. It's been a rough summer for shoes in my house; namely, my favorite black summer flats that got soaked in dog pee and my sandals which died an horrific death when I caught the front on the pavement and ripped the top part from the bottom part. Not good.

Yesterday, however, I had a pair die from old age and it was very sad.

We've been through so much together.  Rehearsals, work, more rehearsals, teaching, pretty much anytime I was too lazy to put on socks but flip-flops weren't an option. I was at a rehearsal last night and we took a break and I crossed my leg over my other leg and looked down and saw the tragicness...the sole of the shoe had completely separated from the upper part.

I realize that four years is a long time to have a pair of shoes, and I also realize that for the last year or so the soles have been so thin that my feet hurt all of the time when I wear them, and I can actually feel the bumpiness of the pavement through the millimeter or so of remaining sole.

I don't care. They go with so many outfits and they don't make my feet hot.

I am going to give them a decent burial today, and I have been looking online (unsuccessfully) for a replacement. 

Sigh. 

This is a sad day.

Rest in peace, shiny black peep-toe flats. You done good.

from etsy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment