Thursday, March 13, 2014

Yesterday was not the catastrophe it could've been; however, there are still two days left in my workweek and I'm sure life has a little bit left to hand out.

Not necessarily catastrophe. It could be anything. I just want to sleep through the next two days. Is that too much to ask? Yeah, I think it might be.

At any rate, I had a student say something really odd to me at her lesson yesterday. My cell phone kept buzzing with texts, and I kept saying that I was sorry. She said, "You can answer it if you want." I told her that it wasn't an emergency and I would check it later. Then, she said the unthinkable: "I don't ever want a cell phone."

After I picked my jaw up from the floor, I asked her why. She replied that she didn't want people bothering her unless she wanted to be bothered.

That girl is awesome.

I said, "Yep, a phone is like a leash. It kind of stinks being reachable all of the time." She told me I should just get rid of it, then.

Of course, then she threw in, "Did you know that before cell phones, almost half of kids died on the side of the road because they couldn't call anyone for help?"

That's when I realized I was talking to a nine-year-old.

I replied, "Yeah. I know I did…die on the side of the road, I mean. You realize I'm a ghost, right?"

For a fraction of a second, a mere micro-second, I got a look that was just outstanding. Then I got the "you're full of it" look to which I have become VERY accustomed.

So, yeah, yesterday could've been a lot worse.

I hope today is a Parker Stevenson/Shaun Cassidy kind of day. Complete with feathered bangs. And a cravat. Definitely a cravat.




No comments:

Post a Comment