Tuesday, March 25, 2014

This morning, there were about ten posts on my Facebook News Feed  pertaining to the closing of the San Diego Opera. All of the posts went as follows--

Opera Person:  Gee whiz, it's sad that San Diego Opera is closing. I hope this isn't a sign that jobs in our industry are becoming scarcer. That would not be good.

Opera Person's Close Friend/Husband/Wife/Mom/Dad:  That is really scary, but you're so talented that you'll be fine. (Optional smiley face here.)

Opera Person's Facebook-Only Friend Who Likes to Be a Turd:  Well, I don't know anyone who spends $40+ for a date night. I sure wouldn't. Opera is completely irrelevant.

Crickets chirping. Facebook silence.

Ten of these. They all went like that. It would've been funny if I didn't love opera so very much.

But I do.

At any rate, I think if a business is no longer viable, it has every right to fold and make way for other businesses. I also think that maybe some of these organizations are structured in an un-sustainable way. As in, six-figure salaries for administrators while the artists are working side jobs at Denny's to be able to afford the hours of lessons and weird rehearsal schedules. That's not a great choice, either.

However, to the people who say that, and I'm loosely quoting here, "Opera is for people with advanced degrees making six-figure salaries. Who can afford $40 tickets for a night out?" I say to you: Seriously? Have you ever seen a professional sporting event? Even a minor-league baseball game costs $20, and that's for the cheap seats. Those Dallas Cowboys games cost fans WAY more than $40 a ticket, and the stadiums are still packed.

Not to mention the fact that a concert ticket, perhaps to see the über-talented Britney Spears, can cost over $100.

Don't even go there. Just don't. I will hurt you.

Also, it should be noted that the person who made this comment colors her hair (at a salon, not at home with a box...I can tell the difference), and has manicures and pedicures regularly. She also has multiple large tattoos, which cost quite a bit of money. 

I can't afford to do any of those things (well, I have tattoos, but they're very old and very small), but you can bet your butt that I'd spend $40 to go see an opera. Or an orchestra concert. She just doesn't like spending her money on those particular items. Which is fine, but don't tell me $40 is too much for the excellence in an opera.

I get that not everybody likes it. But there's no way it's an upper-class thing. I've never been upper-class and I love it. Not just being part of one, but seeing something that still demands a level of technical proficiency and emotional artistry that isn't provided by machines and/or very expensive boob jobs (not that opera singers don't get boob jobs, because I'm sure they do, it's just not usually a big part of the show). So, yes, the industry is having problems, and, yes, sometimes businesses are run poorly and have to be shut down. The artists will still find a way to make their music, even if it comes to self-subsidizing (which most of us are having to do, all of the time, anyway).

By the way, Mrs. "It's Too High-Class!" I would never, EVER pay $100 to see a football game. So there you go. Facebook-Only Friend? You really are a turd. Enjoy your date night at KFC, followed by a thrilling time at Monster Jam (tickets for that run about $30…I checked). I can just feel your mind expanding every time a truck runs over another truck.

Actually, that sounds kind of cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment