Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Whenever we learn about a new concept in music class, I like to try to tie it to something in regular life, so it sticks in the kids' brains better. So I'll ask them a question about something at home, and we'll go from there.

The last few years, it's been getting a little more difficult, as I ask frequently about chores, and no one has any.

Seriously? Moms out there, you are missing out on a valuable source of free labor. Last week, I asked four kids about chores and every single one said, "None" except for one, who said she has to make her bed on weekends.

For reals. And some of these kids are eight or nine. Kid, by the time I was eight, I knew how to make that chrome in the bathroom shine like nobody's business, and so help me if that toilet wasn't properly cleaned.

Moms, if you don't teach them how to clean a bathroom, they'll never know. And unless you're prepared to provide them with maid service, that's not going to prepare them very well for life.

Show them how to clean a toilet outside in, so you're not spreading the poopy stuff where it shouldn't go.

Show them that it is, indeed, possible to have a shiny faucet for years and years with a little bit of wiping up every day.

And, for the love of all that is good and clean, please show them that it is never, ever okay to expect someone else to clean up any big poopy messes they make (this one's primarily for my benefit, because gross).

They'll thank you for it when they've got their own kids who are being used as free labor. Keep the tradition alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment