Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Alrighty. I had a bunch of questions the other day on the meat thing, and it got me thinking about exactly what it is that made me decide to keep on not eating meat. I haven't gone to full-on vegetarian, as I do eat soup made with chicken stock, and I will eat stuff that was cooked with meat and just pick the meat out. Also, I had pepperoni on my vacation, and it was pretty darn awesome.

Otherwise, I just don't eat meat. Or fish.

So, anyway, I guess what bothers me is the idea of these poor animals being raised in horrible conditions, being fed a bunch of crap, and then being killed so we can eat them. That's really it. I feel like if I buy milk from a good quality dairy, where the cows are treated well, that doesn't bother me, and if my eggs (as much as possible), come from a place where the chickens are fed well and treated humanely, that's okay too.

I realize it sounds a little wishy washy, but that's kind of how I roll.

So maybe if I felt like the animals got a little bit of kindness and were fed well, it wouldn't bug me. I don't know. But my whole life, I've had trouble with the idea, and I even had to pretend to myself that it was tofu pepperoni when I had that pizza. 

I am a very good pretender. It totally worked.

So, that's it. No deep philosophical or moral reasons. I have absolutely no problem with people eating meat. It just makes me sad to do it. I think I thought I might come up with a better, more compelling reason along the way, but I really haven't. Still just me, having some feelings, and despite thinking about trying to incorporate some meat into my diet, I just don't think it's time. I can get my protein somewhere else.

If only I could feel sad about eating cookies. That would be fantastic.


No comments:

Post a Comment