Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Today represents the start of all of the High Holy Days craziness. I realize that sounds a little weird because usually holidays are a nice, fun thing, but it's not nearly as fun when you're participating in making the services a better experience for other people.

I think that's why I get so uptight about performing, and I have a hard time just relaxing and letting my voice do what I've been trying to force it to do for years and years. I want to make people have an experience, not hear some songs and be all, "Gee, that was swell. Let's go get some ice cream."

Well, they should probably go get ice cream, because it is awesome and I love it. But really. Gee? Come on.

This year, I am trying something different:  I am going to not worry about whether or not I suck. Or, at the very least, I am going to try to enjoy it a little bit along with the worrying. These are some of the most lovely people I've ever worked for and they really do seem to not hate what I'm doing.

(That's as far as I can go with the, "Oh, I'm so amaaaaazing" portion of this blog. I was born without a singer's ego, thank goodness. I think that portion of my brain is taken up with an overactive sarcasm center.)

Anyhow, I hope that if any of you ever get a chance, you'll attend a Rosh Hashanah or Yom Kippur service. They are really beautiful and even those of us who come form different religious backgrounds can appreciate the meaning behind the ceremony. Plus, they have an instrument that sounds kind of like a kazoo, and that is super cool. Also, afterwards, you can make your husband stop at Dunkin' Donuts and buy you a Coffee Roll. 


Mmmmmm. Coffee Roll. P.S. I got this picture from somebody's Weight Watchers blog. Hahahahahahaha.




No comments:

Post a Comment