Thursday, May 9, 2013


It may be normal for members of the animal kingdom to be cannibals, but I can't say that I like it. Not at all.

We have this aquarium full of fish, which came to us from another home, and some of these fish are pregnant. Last week, a friend came over and while we were looking at the tank, we observed a teensy-weensy little baby fish hiding in one of the plants.

The baby disappeared.

A few days later, my husband noticed a few more babies.

They also disappeared.

THE FISH ARE EATING THE BABY FISH.

If these were humans, I'd be calling the cops. If they were dogs, I'd be separating them so the mom wouldn't do that. What do you do to fish?

I've decided that my course of action will be shaming the fish. I walk past the tank and I tell them all how rotten and mean it is to eat your own baby, and I remind them that several notable people have spent years in jail for eating their fellow beings.

I don't think they're listening.

I may need to improve my game. Be more aggressive, maybe show them a slide show, you know, stuff like that. The little monsters. Maybe I should shun them.

I don't think shunning is particularly bothersome to fish, though. They don't seem to have a lot in the feelings department.

Oh, well. At any rate, I've decided that if I see any more babies, I'm going to pretend not to notice them, and then I'm going to spend a lot of time looking and pointing at the other side of the tank to maybe trick the other fish into looking for babies over there. Yeah. Maybe that'll work.

It's tough to outsmart a tank full of cannibal fish.


No comments:

Post a Comment