Tuesday, May 8, 2018

So we’ve been trying to live as cleanly as possible, to lower our exposure to chemicals and maybe attempt to avoid cancer. We’ve changed our cleaning products (big surprise...the natural stuff works way better and we use less, so it’s cheaper), and changed to organic everything whoever possible (I’m not paying $4 for an organic bell pepper...that’s crazy), and even use soap and shampoo made from natural thingamajiggers. So we’re pretty darn invested in trying to be more natural and less chemical with our bodies.

Except for now. I’m embracing the chemicals.

So, as you may know, I am allergic to everything. Really. I bet I’m even slightly allergic to myself. It’s ridiculous. And it’s getting worse as I get older, so go figure. About fifteen years ago, I suddenly became allergic to deodorant. Like, every single one I tried gave me a rash. Going without is just not an option because me and smells are not friends, so I kept trying and finally discovered that I could use Dove deodorant. So I’ve been using it ever since.

The problem? It contains aluminum. That’s on the no-no list. But it works and it doesn’t give me a rash, so I was going to use up my Costco multi-pack and then try something new; however, fate intervened.

I woke up a few days ago with an eczema spot in my armpit. Ugh. Usually means allergies.

So I thought, “Okay, I’ll use this as an opportunity to try a new deodorant.” Went to the natural, non antiperspirant section of the deodorant area, and found something which had nothing I’m allergic to on the label, and smelled less like patchouli than the other choices, and went for it.

This morning? Yeah.....

I woke up with a huge rash covering my entire armpit, and smelling like some strange person had come and rubbed b.o. all over my armpits. Has to be someone else, because I’ve never smelled like this. Wow. Just, wow.

So, I’m tossing this one in the failure column and going back to my chemical-laden Dove. The one that works because, hell, maybe I got that little spot but that’s what cortisone cream is for.

Hippie life is one thing, but stinky rashy armpits are just too much in my neck of the woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment