Friday, May 25, 2018

Man, what a day!

We got up, had breakfast and played with the bird a little bit, and then started day one of our first real project in a while. My husband and I are replacing and repairing the wood trim on our house. Well, he’s doing the repair and replace work while I do stuff inside, and then we’ll both do the painting.

I decided to tackle my kitchen and, holy crap, my cabinets are a piece of...um...junk. Yeah, junk. Nothing else, not any cuss words or anything like that. Just junk.

When we bought the house, I was fooled by the thick oak slab doors into thinking that even thought they’re old and needed a lot of cleaning, that they were good quality cabinets so we’d get good use out of them until we’re ready to do the big remodel.

I was super wrong. The wrongest wrong you ever did see.

They’re laminate, and it was a rental, so they’ve been seriously abused. Big time. When we first moved in, it was tricky because I’ve never had a kitchen with this kind of configuration, so I just put stuff where it fit, and figured I’d move it later. Also, the shelves can be moved, but the pegs that hold them in place were so caked with crud (someone had exploded a soda in one and never bothered to wipe it out) that I had to scrub just to get them to move and by the time I was done I was too exhausted to care. So I put the things where they fit and thought that it would be fine.

It’s been okay, especially since we had such a crazy year, but it was time to switch things to better places. So I got my pliers out and moved the shelves so I could get everything to fit. And I didn’t break anything! The shelves, however are super warped so I did pinch the crap out of myself, even if I did avoid falling and breaking my neck. Go, me!

My husband spent the (extremely hot) day outside pulling gross insulation off of the house and pulling wood off and then sawing more wood and putting it back up on the house. So that was probably just as awful as it sounds, but there’s still three more days of work to go.

My feet hurt. His feet hurt. Oh, boy. This is going to be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment