Monday, August 24, 2015

As our society shifts more and more into written communications, rather than spoken ones, maybe it would be a good idea to...I don't know...learn how to write at some point.

For example, there is a local page that I read frequently, mostly to see the battles that are waged between people due to misunderstandings that would never have happened if the parties involved had even the slightest idea of how much snark their little comments convey. Seriously. It's the reason some of us close everything with a smiley face. That little smiley face can make a slightly sarcastic comment okay.

Its absence can mean war. Facebook style.

But, I mean it. People need to read that stuff before hitting send. There's one guy in particular who, I have heard, is a really mellow, nice guy in person. His comments are rude and hard to understand, due to the fact that maybe one in ten words is spelled even close to correctly, and they make me cringe every time.

Of course, I don't get involved. That would require a level of "I give a crap" that I just don't have.

At any rate, this morning I read a thread in which he alienated every single person involved in the discussion, including the admins of the page. And he's trying to raise money for some people.

Oops.

It's a good idea to remember that Facebook is a free form of entertainment which no one has any control over, except their very own page. Any time a person opens up another person's page, she's stepping into the land of no control. So deal with it or get out. Don't get your feelings all hurt and threaten violence in the real world because you disagree with someone's poster about the starving ponies in Waikiki.

That's not a real poster, by the way. Starving ponies in Waikiki? I think not.

Just calm it. I know some people like to debate (I sure don't, but whatever), but try to keep it civil. A person is entitled to post whatever he likes on his own page, just as you can on your page. And no one else gets to have a say. That's your online room. You mess that up however you like, but don't go throwing your crap in anyone else's space.

And also, take an English class, please, please, please. Because, for reals, I'm dying over here. I'm not perfect, myself, but some of this stuff looks like they gave a keyboard to a baby and just let her randomly peck at the keys. It hurts my brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment