Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Alright, I have a little rant for today. Big shocker.

Yesterday, I was waiting for an appointment, and I looked at my Facebook, and I saw that a friend had posted about her depression, and referred to it as her "cancer." Now, I'm not going to rant about that, even though I personally hate talking about illnesses on Facebook...I don't want attention for having some kind of sick. But I get that some people need to feel supported, and there's really nothing wrong with that. It's just personal preference (although I do think that referring to a disease as another disease is a bad choice, as the two are completely unrelated and depression is a legit thing all on its own).

Anyway, she posted a link to a blog post written by a young woman who was experiencing depression for the first time in her life, and she was writing about how shocking it was to her. Okay, that part was fine, and super sad. 

Then she mentioned that suicide kills 30,000 people per year, and I though, "Hmmm. That seems like less than I thought. I wonder where she got her statistics." I made a mental note to google that later, when I had some decent wifi. Then she said that that number was higher than the number killed by HIV/AIDS every year,

Yep, this is the rant. Get ready.

SERIOUSLY?!? Seriously. Where in the world did you get that? Because it's over a million a year, mostly in Africa. Did you forget about that, lady? That huge, major epidemic over there that's, like, a big big big deal? How can you try to make your illness sound more important by making stuff up? 

It made me crazy, especially because I couldn't actually comment on her blog without sounding like a jerk. I know she's suffering, and I know it's awful, but for crying out loud. JUST BECAUSE IT ISN'T HAPPENING IN AMERICA DOESN'T MEAN IT ISN'T HAPPENING.

And also, for the love of Pete, if you're going to make up stuff, make it believable. Because holy crap. 

Also also, there are over 800,000 deaths annually due to suicide, with over 40,000 last year in the U.S. alone, according to the WHO. So, big deal all on its own. Doesn't need a comparison.

Ugh. Curmudgeon alert. 

No comments:

Post a Comment