Monday, January 6, 2014

Well, that's over with!

I'm pretty excited to start a new year, primarily because the old one was getting stinky and gross and I hated it. It seems like everyone has decided resolutions are dumb and not cool, so I guess no one else has any, but I sure do.

I kind of feel like any time I have the energy to try to be a better person, I should definitely go with it. It takes so much just to be normal and when I feel like trying something above that, I kind of feel like I'm using my superpowers.

Have I not mentioned my superpowers? To be honest, I mention so much in here that I have no idea whether or not that's ever come up. I totally do, though. My superpower is cleaning.

That's a sad, sad superpower.

However, I am also pretty good at making excuses for other people, putting up with crap (not silently…screw that), and trying really hard to make things for long after all hope is gone.

I watched The Hobbit part two over the break…I may be a little more melodramatic than usual for a few weeks. It's the residual Bilbo effect.

Anyway, I am sticking to my resolutions, even if they're not the cool thing to do. Here they are, for all the world to see (any resolutions I decided on before January first are null and void, and forgive me if I'm repeating myself…I get a little excited sometimes):

First of all, I'm going to make a bucket list. I have always thought they were kind of d-baggy, and I still don't like the title, so I'm going to call mine something else. Maybe "List of things I want to do" will suffice. I've never really thought of things like that, as I've always been super focused on things like cleaning and making sure I have a well-funded retirement account. Got the cleaning part down, the other part not so much. Anyhow, I have some things that I'd really like to try, and my sister and I figured out that we have some things we'd both like to try, so I'm going to start working on that.

Secondly, I am going to work on learning more new things and not just keep doing the same things over and over. I like the learning part, and even though it's not as comforting, as I do loves me some repetitive behaviors, it will be good for my brain.

Finally, I am going to stop dieting. I realize that I am still fat, so this experiment could end up with me weighing 300 pounds again. I don't think I'll let it go that far, but I've gotten way too obsessed with dieting and it's kind of all I think about, and I'm sick of thinking about how fat I am all of the time. It's no fun. Fat-shaming is definitely a real thing, people, and I'm just as guilty of it as everybody else. I'm going to eat healthy food and get a lot of exercise and that's it. I'm not going to not eat anymore. I may just never be thin, and I'm tired of making myself feel like crap in order to be an acceptable person someday.

Maybe I don't want to be acceptable. Maybe acceptable people are boring.

So, anyway, number three is kind of a big deal for me. It's scary to let go of something that has become a part of my life for as long as I remember (I went on my first diet when I was 8). I guess if I look at it that way, dieting sure doesn't work, because if I've been doing this for 27 years and I'm still fat, that's not very efficient.

So I'm done. Woohoo.

I feel like I've done pretty well with my resolutions thus far, so maybe this year will be even better. Maybe I will have a better attitude, as I believe that was the resolution for 2013.

Bahahahaha. I'm adorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment