Monday, January 13, 2014

Are we really a bunch of over-sharing drama queens? I feel like we might be. I feel like maybe, just maybe, it would be a good idea to step back and maybe not calculate every action we take in terms of the kind of response it will generate.

But I also think that might just be me.

I feel like we are all so inter-connected anymore that we have stopped living just to get through and everything we do and say has become a display window where other people get to watch the show.

The Me Show. Yikes.

It's getting pretty boring. I don't think our everyday lives were meant to be super entertaining. Entertainment is rarely entertaining anymore, because we consume it so rapidly that Hollywood is forced to spew out tons of mediocre crap and anyone who takes the time to actually be a craftsperson or artist is dismissed as being hoity-toity and irrelevant.

Really? If it's difficult or takes time or effort for the mind to digest, it's not considered mainstream enough and therefore takes in no money and the people making it get pushed further to the back and are forced to take on more commercial projects to survive. And we're presented with still more shows starring "real people," only they're not that real.

Could we please just put the phones and the cameras down? We're not that interesting. Go outside and play Frisbee or read a book.

Geez.

Sharing every five minutes of your life (and your kids' lives) doesn't create value. It actually lessens the effect when you have something real to share, plus, I feel like it kind of instills this "I'm performing all of the time" attitude and makes your kids little shells of people, instead of just letting them feel things on their own, not doing actions to be seen by other people.

It can't be healthy to constantly gauge your actions in terms of how they're seen by others. It just can't.

Trying to create drama in order to give one's life more meaning is a pretty empty way to live, not to mention the constant stress it places on the people who can't ever tell what's real and what's marshmallow fluff.

(I realize that this isn't that hilarious, but it's annoying me. I realize, as well, that the people to whom I would love to say this won't actually read it, but that's okay. It makes me feel better and more virtuous, and, really, that's the point.)

No comments:

Post a Comment