Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Alrighty, I'm calling it: It's Christmastime!

Don't like it? Tough caca…I've had a rough year, so I'm going for it. I've decided that this year, I have to teach my cockatiel how to whistle Jingle Bells and I want to learn how to play Eye of the Tiger on my accordion. I realize that may not be a Christmas song in some houses, but I feel like it kind of relates to the way my family looks at Christmas.

When I was younger, I heard about holiday depression and I was like, "What? Family gatherings are stressful? What?" and then I saw how other families looked at Christmas, and I realized that my family doesn't do things normally.

Big shocker, there.

Here's the secret to our enjoyment of the season: We look at Christmas as a month-long celebration of our ability to act like idiots.

Yes, I know, it's a religious holiday, and I'm totally down with that. I loves me some Christmas Eve candlelight service, with all the quiet and solemnity and what-not. It's beautiful. Seriously.

Christmas, though (in my mind, at least), is two distinct holidays, and I don't think the non-religious aspect impedes my enjoyment of the religious aspect at all. In my opinion, the super fun idiocy of the non-religious part is what makes the religious part so meaningful.

We got the gift of being able to act like complete and total morons with our family, and that may just be the best gift of all. I love that.

Plus, not everybody enjoys going home at Christmastime, and that makes me even more aware of the awesomeness that goes on in our neck of the woods. For reals.

Gingerbread everything for the next six weeks. Bring it. That and this…fierce.




No comments:

Post a Comment