Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Today, I'd like to explain the circle of life. Not The Circle of Life, because that is a song from The Lion King, which is not my favorite Disney movie of all time, so I don't really have much to say about it. It's okay, but Sleeping Beauty is obviously the best Disney movie of all time. Obviously. This is a fact, not an opinion.

Anyway, the circle of life is the fact that whatever one does will come right back; for instance, whenever I make a large purchase, I know that something in my house will break. It happens every time, so we just prepare ourselves to live with something broken for a while, in order to break the cycle. If we would just buy a new one of whatever broke, something else would just break, and so on and so on, so we try to live with it for a while. Right now, we have a dryer that dries perfectly well, but the timer has broken and can't be fixed, so we have to make sure to set a timer and go turn it off or our clothes will get really really dry. The kind of dry where they will go into the dryer fitting an adult and come out of the dryer fitting a Barbie.

Also, one has to realize that whenever there is an extra of something and one is given away, what is kept will break and the one that's given away will run forever. I had an appliance that I'd used for years and had never had any trouble with, and I received a hand-me-down one from my mom which was larger and would enable me to make more stuff. So of course I give mine away, and less than a month later, the new one breaks. I am now using an old cast-off that is smaller than the one I started with, which is okay, because it being smaller and older means it won't break on me. Also, we had a computer that was acting a little sketchy, so we got a hand-me-down one that was newer and much nicer and gave the sketchy one away. Yep, computer died this weekend, but the sketchy computer is still working nicely.

We have no one to blame but ourselves. We should've known better. I think I'll just start giving our new stuff to other people and keeping the old stuff that I know works. I don't know how that'll work out, though. Maybe I should just keep a stockpile of old appliances and electronics in my shed until I know for sure the new one isn't going to die.

The circle of life isn't just about things breaking. It's also about time. If someone has a morning off, with nothing to do, and he spends that time being productive, no one will call, but if he spends that morning off playing computer games and watching reruns of Scooby-Doo, he should be aware that a huge pile of work will get dumped into his lap at the end of the day so he has to work until late.

I suppose one could call all of this Murphy's Law, but it's not just about things going wrong. It's about things going wrong in response to my behavior. 

Or maybe I just didn't have enough coffee this morning so I'm being whiny. That is a definite possibility.  

No comments:

Post a Comment