Thursday, January 26, 2012

Alrighty, it's time for a blog with a purpose. Today is the day. That purpose is speeling spelling.


Ha ha ha. I am so funny sometimes, even I can't stand it.


Seriously, though, today I am going to solve one of those little life mysteries, because although an occasional misspelling happens to everyone (yes, even me), there are some people who are putting massive bodies of work out on the internet, and because they have no editor, their work has massive mistakes. So, I'm going to be a big help to them, right now. Ready?


That little red line you see under half of your words is a spell-check line. That means that the computer, which is a machine and has no feelings about you and cannot be vindictive because it doesn't agree with your post, is telling you that it thinks the word you just wrote is not spelled correctly. Here's what you do then:  Highlight the word with your mouse (the hand-held thingy that goes click-click), open a new tab in your browser, go to google.com and paste the word into the search area (the little empty white bar that says "Google"). Voila! A suggestion for the correct spelling of the word should pop up. Now, go back to your original browser window and put the correct spelling of the word into your document. That pesky, angry red line should go away. If not, you may have to resort to (gasp) a dictionary.


Oh, and you don't EVER need an apostrophe when making something plural. EVER. If you're, say, writing a letter about your family and saying something like, "This year, the Smiths went to Africa on a safari,"  note the absence of an apostrophe where I made it plural. Not Smith's, but Smiths. It's only Smith's if you're referring to something of theirs, such as, "the Smith's dog," or, "the Smith's machete." Oh, and "it's" only has an apostrophe if you're saying "it is." Otherwise, no apostrophe, as there is no possessive for its. 


Do I know everything about everything? Yes, and that's why I feel free to be so judgmental. On the other hand, would you really know if I was just making this stuff up so I could laugh about it later? (All this was inspired by a blog post that had the main verb in its title spelled incorrectly TWICE, and also used "it's" incorrectly. I can't let this kind of thing go, people. It's just not right.)


Ah, here I go again, saving the world from poor spelling, bad grammar, and lazy/non-existent hand-washing. Wait. I didn't remember to talk about hand-washing. Well, I guess that's another topic for another day, but in the meantime, go wash your hands. There are rampant floating fecal/skin/b.o. particles out there, and they want to invade you through your hands. For reals.

No comments:

Post a Comment