Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Well, I did it.  I'm pretty sure I did it wrong, but at least I did it.  This may or may not be the only post I ever make, but I've thought about doing a blog for a long time, and so many of my friends and family have a blog, I was starting to feel retro.  Not the cool kind of retro where you have those awesome thick glasses and do your hair in a 50s style, and everyone assumes you're very deep and wants to be your friend.  More the kind of retro where you wear mom jeans and just got the Rachel haircut, and all people under the age of 25 feel embarrassed to admit they know you.


So I jumped on the bandwagon.  Basically, I'm a follower, so I'm pretty comfortable with that.


Speaking of mom jeans, I was recently asked by a mom (not mine) to define the mom jean.  Why did she ask me?  I don't know.  It could be because of my status as an international fashion icon, but I think it's more likely because I never wear my shirts short or tucked-in.  Even if I did wear mom jeans, no one could tell, apart from the tapered legs and the fact that they're usually two inches short.  I do wear high-waters, but that's a story for a different day.  Anyway, I had to think about the true definer.  Is it the wash?  Is it the high-waistedness?  Is it the way it makes even the smallest butt look ever so wide and unattractive, with its high waist, poofy hip area and teeny tiny legs?  It's hard to say.  I'm pretty sure she meant this as a casual comment, but I thought about it for around five minutes.  She may have been worried that I was having some sort of total body freeze or something, but she was polite about the extended pause.  At the end of all that, I had no answer. I told her I thought the mom jean was a combo of the three, and let it go at that.


It's been haunting me ever since.  I think it's mostly because I'm scared that they're going to make a comeback, or that someone other than my family will see those pictures of me when I was 10, sporting the mom jean look the first time around.  It's that kind of thing that keeps me awake at night.


As you can see, I'm really a very shallow person.  A shallow person with a blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment