Friday, September 29, 2017

Yes, the High Holy Days are upon us. I made it through Rosh Hashanah, and now it's Yom Kippur time. If you haven't been to one of these services, it's a really cool experience. I was told it was similar to the Christian Church's Easter or Christmas services, but it's not at all like those, at least in my experience. So I will share a little so you can get the feel of services in the temple. Or, at least, the temple where I sing.

Men wear suits. Real, three-piece, long ties, and nice shoes. I mean, NICE. They shine them and everything. Now, this may not be weird in some churches, but I'm from New Mexico, so the only time I'm used to seeing men in suits is at weddings and funerals. Oh, and in court. Sometimes. At least, the lawyers. But, yeah, really really formal.

The ladies wear real couture things. Suits and formal dresses and also sequins and floral things and whatnot, along with a ton of makeup. So much makeup. Like stage makeup almost, and these services are hours and hours long, so that's a real commitment. And the hair is sprayed to perfection with some kind of industrial strength business. There is no moving of the hair.

Did I mention jewelry? Men and ladies, they've all got a lot. Like, big big rings and necklaces that must weigh a billion pounds. Again, so much discomfort for such a long service. They are champs.

Now, this being Santa Fe, there are those that go for the loose flowy linen clothing, much as I myself prefer to wear, but they are definitely in the minority. They also put the little kids in suits and stuff, and the teenage girls typically wear heels that are way too high for them and hobble to their seats. It's awesome.

My favorite part, though, is the service. It's the most honest service I've ever seen. People screw up, laugh about it, get all emotional and don't apologize, and the temple openly tells them they need to contribute money and help other people. It's so good. Just putting it all out there and not being at all self-conscious.

Love. It.

Best services ever. I'd almost go even if I wasn't singing for them. Almost. But it's SO LONG. Like, sometimes I feel like I want to say my water just broke and I have to rush to the hospital because I just want to get the heck out of there.

But I don't. Because it's overall the most entertaining and also meaningful service of all time. So, so good. I highly recommend it.

And happy new year, everybody! Go be nice!


No comments:

Post a Comment