Wednesday, February 26, 2014

I often wonder what it would be like to be the kind of person who makes decisions easily. It's very difficult when one is the kind of person who over-analyzes every situation, and one is married to a person who does that, as well.

Decisions take a really long time around here.

Then, after we've decided on a course of action, we tend to think about it some more and keep thinking about it until we've talked ourselves out of it.

What kind of decisions? Well, it could be anything, from where to go on vacation to whether or not we should get a puppy, or anything in-between. Sometimes, it's as small as deciding where to go for dinner.

Honestly, sometimes we end up going to the same place over and over again because we're too afraid of things like raw meat and/or food poisoning to change (but that's kind of the curse of being someone-or being married to someone-with an intestinal problem).

We work on being more spontaneous, but I honestly don't know if working towards spontaneity is a very effective course of action. Shouldn't it just be something one does without having to plan to be that way? Doesn't planning ahead to do something at the last minute sort of negate the last-minuteness of the activity?

I don't know if we'll ever be good at decisions or be able to stop questioning everything. I just want to try to not be so aware of every issue that could arise. I want to eat a meal without calculating the possible percentages of microbes on my food. I want to go shopping without trying not to buy anything that we don't really, really need, and calculating the cost per usage of every article of clothing I buy and trying to keep it below a dollar (yeah, I do that--it's actually really useful to know how much you're spending per wearing).

Or maybe I just don't want to feel like such a weirdo for doing all of those things. Maybe it would be nice if other people tried to see those things as one of my positives instead of being a negative.

Or, maybe it's none of their business, anyway, and I should stop trying to make other people happy.

That's probably it. I still don't like it. I guess Mick Jagger was right: You can't always get what you want. 

Oh, yeah, and I also want Cheetos. Lots and lots of Cheetos. Cheetos without consequence. Cheetos and Chocolate Peanut Butter ice cream from Baskin-Robbins. 

I think that's something we can all agree on. I just need to work on the "without consequence" part. If science can invent cures for diseases and alternative energy sources, can't they invent delicious deliciousness that won't make my butt wider?

Come on, guys. Get a move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment