Friday, December 13, 2019

Those of you who know me really well know that I have got a startle response that is completely disproportionate to the actual amount of startle. I've been this way my entire life, and many of my family members have equally fun startles.

This is why no one in my family jumps out at each other and says, "Boo!" You're liable to get a punch in the face if you pull something like that.

At any rate, I was washing some dishes in the sink at my work (where I probably spend a good hour of every day, attempting to wash off all the ew I have to touch because certain people poop and then don't wash their hands...another story for another day, there), and my co-worker came up behind me and patted me on the back to let me know she was behind me. Unfortunately, I had been singing a song in my head, and I was just getting to the really good emotional part, so I hadn't heard a thing, and I jumped a little bit, and we laughed and went on about our business.

I then went back to my desk and congratulated myself on containing my startle. Felt pretty darn proud.

About an hour later, everyone but me left for lunch and I was back at the sink, doing my thing, when all of a sudden I heard a noise and I yelped, jumped, hit my head on the cupboard above the sink and then kicked my shin on the cabinets.

The noise? Water draining down the sink.

Yep. I guess the startle's not as contained as I thought it was. Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment