Monday, June 9, 2014

Yesterday was kind of an important day for my brain. It was the one-year anniversary of my whole mastoiditis ordeal.

Why on Earth would I remember that day, much less want to think about it? Well, because in true OCD fashion, as soon as they told me what was going on (which they didn't for like two days while I was rotting in the pediatrics ward of the hospital, isolated just in case it was something contagious and/or I became a flesh-eaing zombie), I googled the hell out of it and any related infections.

It was a good thing that I was already in the hospital, because holy crap. It sounded terrifying. Well, it really kind of was, mostly because of the pain and the hearing loss and the dizziness. That kind of stuff.

Anyhow, I also learned that recurrences happen most frequently within the first year. So yesterday was the one-year mark. With no recurrence of any kind of ear infection.

None. So I will, from now on, be less of a hypochondriac, especially where my ear is concerned. I think it's always going to be a little wonky, but that's a low price to pay for getting to have normal-range hearing and for not having to have had that spinal tap.

Haven't ever had one, but the nurses assured me that it was one hospital experience I should be really excited about skipping. Yikes.

I also had, for the first time since my hospitalization, a singing practice last week wherein my jaw didn't lock up once. NOT ONCE.

Kind of a big deal, since I've been working on that since last July.

So, at any rate, I'm pretty happy about being a year out. Maybe when I'm two years out, there will be even more progress, and that would be awesome. 

Even if not, it's still pretty awesome.

Cake.



No comments:

Post a Comment